Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Just shop at Winners like the rest of us



Last week, my mother Facebooked me (that deserves a hot topic blog post of it's own) from NYC to ask: "Hypothetically, if you were to receive a bag, which would you prefer? Chanel, Prada, Louis, or Kate Spade?" My initial reaction was to jump for joy, and I thought "finally, my mom got cool AND perhaps rich!" But then common sense kicked in, and I realized that my mother was neither of those things, and sadly, never will be. So I came to the conclusion that she meant a FAKE!

I responded politely with: "No need to purchase one, those are sold on the black market and support terrorism, and that's just not my bag (awful pun intended) But thanks Mom :) !" While I wasn't too sure about this dramatic statement, it got me thinking: Are we hurting more than the (super rich) designers when we purchase counterfeit designer goods?

Women tend to think when they buy fake designer bags that it is a victimless crime. Well there's a few. I think we're all familiar with sweatshops? There's a few victims there.

To buy these counterfeit items is not a crime, but to be the shady guy selling them from your trunk in a dark alley? That is.

Fakes have come a long way. In some cases, it is near impossible to tell the difference between a really good fake and the real thing. Further prompting women to buy the phonies.

These purses are all bought and sold on the black market. The crime ring involved get the purses manufactured at base price, and sells them for around $40-$150. Peanuts compared to the price it costs for the real thing. It's a lucrative market that they tapped into, as hoards of women want the status that goes along with designer bags, without paying designer prices.

Even more frightening than supporting big city thugs, is the evidence developed by the FBI's joint terrorism task force that the sale of counterfeit goods financed the 1993 World Trade Center bombing. The U.S. Customs Service continues to warn that counterfeit designer bags may finance terror.

So what do you think? While you may be the only one that knows you're sporting a fake, is it worth the heavy conscience that will ensue knowing you helped finance terrorism?


3 comments:

Amanda DiPasquale said...

I used to not mind purchasing fake purses. One trip to NYC and I had some new designer digs! However, on my latest trip I decided I didn't want to participate in that. It is sketchy, supports something I dont really believe in and one day when I'm a muli-billionaire (hehe) i'll afford the real thing. How do you feel about buying fake in countries like Singapore or Japan?

Kelly Lynn Armstrong said...

Agreed Amanda, I will totally purchsaes the real ones when I can until then, pas pour moi!?

Janna said...

One day, it'll happen for us! Not only do I not like what it supports, but also, I'm a student, anyone who sees me with one will obviously assume I'm sporting a fake.